A Trusted Ally For The Injured

What if a city vehicle hits my car?

by | Apr 30, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

Car accidents can be an ordeal to manage, but colliding with a city vehicle can make things even more complex. Additional rules and limitations may apply, and securing experienced help may be the best way to traverse the extra hurdles.

Starting line

The first step will likely be to identify who employs the driver. While Chicago has its own course for compensation, there is a different procedure to follow for the rest of Cook County, and another still for Illinois.

Once you’ve determined an agent of Chicago caused your car accident, you’ll likely have to begin with a Notice of Claim against the city. It includes important information about your case:

  • The address where you were hit
  • How the accident occurred
  • What injuries you suffered

The report will also include your identifying information, along with that of the city employee who hit you. Then comes the evidence.

Automotive evidence

The evidence can be a crucial part of your claim and likely consists of a few common components:

  • Estimates to repair vehicle damage
  • Medical records and costs
  • Photographs, eyewitness statements and police reports

This vital proof can all take time to gather. Ongoing medical care, extensive vehicle repairs and tracking down witnesses can be time quickly lost. But Chicago will only allow so long for notice, and most civil action must begin within one year of the accident.

Once the statute of limitations for your case expires, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to seek compensation for the accident. To make sure you get the help you need after an accident with a city vehicle, it may be necessary to find legal representation.