A Trusted Ally For The Injured

How can I report nursing home abuse?

On Behalf of | Dec 12, 2019 | Nursing Home Injuries |

Finding out a loved one is suffering abuse in an Illinois long-term care facility is devastating. Not only do you work to remove your loved one from that situation but you also want to ensure others know what is happening. It can be quite sad to walk out the door with your family member and see all the other poor residents who are still stuck in the facility. The best thing you can do in this situation is to report the incident. 

The Illinois Department on Aging explains there are many ways to report nursing home abuse and neglect. You can choose to make one report or report the incident everywhere you can. Many of the organizations and agencies that take reports have a link to each other, so reporting to one place may be sufficient. You may also wish to file a complaint at the nursing home against whoever perpetrated the abuse. 

You can report directly to the Illinois Department of Public Health, which will then launch an investigation. You may file a report with the regional Ombudsmen. You will get further information from them, and they will process your complaint. You may also call the Central Complaint Registry or the Healthcare and Family Services complaint hotline. 

The Illinois State Police Medicaid Fraud Control Unit will also investigate the situation for you. This is an option if your loved one uses Medicaid. 

After reporting the incident, make sure to follow up. This will help ensure whoever you contacted is looking into the situation. This information is for education and is not legal advice.